Here’s my gear list for the 2018 Little Rock Marathon. Yes I know it’s a supported race. Yes I know it’s a road race in the city. But I like to be prepared and I’m the one carrying the stuff so hush you. And I don’t like Gatorade or Gu which is what they have in the aid stations.
- Hydration Vest – Salomon Advanced Skin 12, because it hugs you like your wife did back when she was your girlfriend.
- Hydration Bottle – Ultimate Direction 500ML bottle with extended nipple. Mmmm man nipples. I plan on only have one bottle full at a given time with eFuel mix. I’ll take plain water from the aid stations.
- VLOG – GoPro Hero 4 Silver on a self designed and 3d printed selfie stick.
- Fuel – eFuel in Citrus Punch (awesome), eGel, one of all 5 flavors, candied ginger from Sprouts, Golden and Regular Oreo’s just for a change of texture and flavor. I don’t plan on needing all of this stuff, I just want it to have options. But Crank Sports fuels work and work really well for me. And I love candied ginger and it has belly soothing properties as well as anti-inflammatory.
- REI Lightweight Base Layer long sleeve quarter zip (love these shirts, soooo soft)
- Either Brooks Running Tights or Champion Shorts with UnderArmor compression shorts depending on weather.
- Injini Socks (love these things)
- Scosche HR monitor – Love Hate relationship with this thing. But it’s more comfortable than my Garmin HR chest belt and 26.2 miles needs comfort.
- Stryd Foot Pod – Love the precision of this device for pacing and distance. It’s 99% accurate once it’s calibrated to you.
- Shoes…. Here’s my conundrum. I love the Altra Escalante’s and I have a newer pair that have exactly 20.2 miles on them as they’re the ones I ran my last long distance training run in. But… For 26.2 miles my Altra Paradigm 2.0’s with their little bit of extra cushioning in them on top of the stability feature may be the better option. The longest run I have in the Paradigms though is around 17 miles. And they have 150 miles on them.
- Misc – Half sheet paper towels, I’m one of the ones that cold air makes my nose run like a faucet, baby aspirin (just in case I have a HA en route), half a percocet just in case I hurt something badly.
- Garmin Fenix 5X – Love this watch for the features that I’ll never need and that it looks like a watch and not a ‘e-watch or smart watch’.
- Google Pixel 2 XL – For using the Garmin Live Track so my wife can monitor my progress and know if something bad happens en route and for music.
- Plantronic bluetooth headphones – waterproof, not water resistant, good battery life, good sound and they don’t go into my ears. I can’t wear in ear headphones for long before the pain gets unbearable.
And there you have my marathon kit.