Gear Check 02012018
As of today, the 1st of January 2018 this is the gear I use and prefer –
- Altra Escalante – Road, Love this shoe
- Altra Lone Peak – Trail, Best of what I’ve tried.
- Nathan Handheld – When I want a hand held, not so often these days.
- Flip Belt with Zipper – My primary carry for runs less than 90 minutes with one of the 10 oz Flip Belt water bottles. Holds my phone, the water and a key comfortably. And a gel or two if I really wanted to but I haven’t.
- Hydration Vest – Salomon Second Skin 12 – Love this vest, really love it. It’s not perfect, I could make some changes to make it perfect for me but it’s probably as close as I’m going to get until I do try to make my own.
- Ultimate Direction FKT Vest – Love this vest but the Salomon has a better appearance and rides better over all. But the FKT has better storage for me.
- Ultimate Direction Soft Flasks with Extended Nipples. Primarily for the Salomon vest, it allows drinking without removing and replacing the flasks from the vest which is a PITA to do while running.
- Ultimate Direction and Nathan hard bottles for the FKT and as handhelds.
- Garmin Fenix 5X – King of watches
- ID – Road ID Elite+ so if I die on the trail it won’t take too long to ID the body.
- Stryd Foot Pod – Pace, distance, metrics
- Garmin Heart Sensor on Polar Belt – This is a curious combo in that the Garmin belts have a short life span, the Polar’s much longer.
- Scosche Rhythm+ – I have a wish/hate relationship with this thing. When it works it’s great. But it works rarely 100% of a run. I’ll have ridiculously high HR’s at the start of a run, 20 beats higher than a sustained sprint and 50 beats higher than my warmup pace. Then it evens out and reads accurately. Until it doesn’t. I want to like it but so far it’s just not working out.
- Halo Headcaps – The ones with the rubber strip to channel sweat. Seems to work for me.
- REI Light Base layers – Super soft comfy shirt when you need a long sleeve.
- Cold running – Underarmor Cold Gear tops.
- Vest: Patagonia running vest
- Rain Gear: Marmot PreCip rain jacket, Underarmor rain gear.
- Random T-Shirts – Just random tech shirts, typically in the $8 range.
- Random Shorts – Underarmor, Champion, Asic, just a odd collection of shorts.
- Tights – Underarmor baselayers and brooks running tights.
- Socks – Injini No Shows or Quarters. Love these socks.
Leave a Reply